Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Final Revision of "Response to "Mother to Son""

"Mother to Son", written by Langston Hughes, is a very down to earth poem in my opinion. It says and explains how things are, straight up. It doesn't attempt to try to put something of a veil over the truth. It tells the truth, no matter how graphic or emotional it is. The mother doesn't hold back anything, which I think is saying a lot about how she feels about her son: mature and responsible.

It is written from the point of view of a mother. The whole poem is her speaking to her son, relating life to a staircase. It is an amazing speech about how although life may get hard, you have to keep going, and eventually you will find success.

I think this a really good poem. I like how the mother is talking to her son about this, and using this metaphor. It talks about how life is hard, and some things affect you forever. I also noticed that the mother says that she's still climbing her own staircase, and that she doesn't plan on stopping. It really says a lot about what a perserverer she is.

You can only wonder how the son feel about this. He has no dialogue in the poem, so it's completely up to the reader to interpret this. I think although he may be a little confused, he has a newfound
 respect for his mom. That's how I would feel.

Songs of the Day:

Do the ___________!

A song from one of the best movies ever :)

2 comments:

  1. Gabe, this is a great job on your response. Your focus is really clear and strong.

    Great job mane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Gabe, I have to read your blog a lot more often, I really enjoyed this post. I almost forgot that we ever read this poem. Anyway, great job responding, I especially like how you dissected each character.

    ReplyDelete